[gothic-l] months

Manie Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Sun Jul 25 18:11:27 UTC 2004

  

Háils Llama Nom (Paítrus?)

GERMAN TRADITIONAL MONTH NAMES:

According to the "Althochdeutsches Lesebuch" it is not "wind month", but
Windumemānōth (shortened to Windumānōth ?): windume > Lat. vindemia "grape
harvest, vintage"; OHG windemōn: "to harvest wine grapes".

(Wilhelm Braune: Althochdeutsches Wörterbuch, Halle, 1928)

"Et de mensibus quidem Ianuarium wintarmanoth, Februarium hornung, Martium
lenzinmanoth, Aprilem ostarmanoth, Maium winnemanoth, Iunium brachmanoth,
Iulium hewimanoth, Augustum aranmanoth, Septembrem witumanoth, Octobrem
windumemanoth, Novembrem herbistmanoth, Decembrem heilagmanoth appellavit."

http://www.noctes-gallicanae.org/Eginhard/Eginhard11.htm

http://charlemagne.celtic-twilight.com/einhard/einhard_charlemagne_c29.htm

http://omega.cohums.ohio-state.edu/mailing_lists/CLA-L/2000/12/0303.php

Hornung:

Hornig: Winkelkind (http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~cd2/drw/a/H191.htm)

Hornung: Bastard, naturales filios dicunt, id est de concubina, qui nos
ornongus [ornongos] dicimus

 (http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~cd2/drw/a/H191.htm#HORNUNG-1.0)

"Nhd. bankart, bankert, früher auch bänkling, gleichsam auf der bank, im
gegensatz im ehbett erzeugt; … anr. hornungr nothus spurius … der im horn
(angulus) erzeugt ist, winkelkind, wie man winkelehe für concubinat sagt,
auch in der lex romana ornongus."  Jacob Grimm, Deutsche Reichsaltertümer,
Leipzig 1899, p. 655

So it means, as you already have rightly said: conceived in the corner
"horn" as opposed to the marriage bed, the bastard.

 Anglo-Saxon:

hornungsunu: bastard

Old Norse:

hornungr: bastard; scamp, outcast

So it is related to words like ON hyrning (f) "corner", hyrningr (m)
"angle", OE hyrne "corner, angle"!

You've got Nebelung for Oktober. I just know Nebelung, Neblung is an
alternative name of November.

RECONSTRUCTING THE GOTHIC CALENDAR:

 (fulliþē): Is your  (fulliþs) the same as  (fulleiþs)
"fulness"?

I also can't find the compound líþadl (with long "i"), but rather liðádl
"gout", whereas the “Anglo-Saxon Dictionary” of Joseph Bosworth has liþádl

Should we not rather take Sólmónað (sun month; with long o), seeing that Old
Norse also has the form Sólmánuðr?

And last but not least, why do you have  *(háujamēnōþs)? Should
it not be  *(hawimēnōþs), since hay is  (hawi)?

 The Gothic script used here is Alphabetum Unicode

Manie

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM