[gothic-l] Re: Spanish Goths

F.E.J.D. IV visigoth at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 7 07:41:44 UTC 2004

Hello Denis,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Denis Glenard" <denisglenard at y...>
wrote:
> Hi Fernando,

> Denis G. wrote:
> I guess my shortcut was too simplistic. What I mean is, IF there are
some populations nowadays the origin of whom can be definitely traced
to the Visigoths, would they have some specific genetic material that,
if also found in the Cagots, would leave no doubt as to the Goth
origin of the Cagots ?

> I take it from your answer that it's not that simple or easy...

I think I have a better handle on your question (now).
Though I am a bit uncomfortable with the way the question is phrased -
the short, simple and sloppy answer is yes –
Nonetheless, the answer is really not so simple for several reasons
but the most important reason is because good accuracy demands a
foolproof well-connected study. One could make inferences by a small
and quick study but it would only answer a "little" question and
possibly cause great embarrassment during peer review since it would
show a lack of rigor.
Secondly, as concerns your strategy, you would have to substantiate
the connection between the "present" population you postulate, and the
Visigoths; thus, it would be seen as somewhat indirect (several extra
steps).

There is a more direct strategy. ---One can go directly to sources of
"visigothic" organic material, namely, Visigothic necropoli. There are
many Visigothic necropoli throughout the Iberian Peninsula. I am not
sure if you read through my post where I brought up my "sampling
strategy" but I have already collected, amplified and typed numerous
samples from the latter, which could be used as references by which we
can contrast samples from Cagot cemeteries or any other population.

Now, let's go back to the beginning. --------- Although the stated
strategy would provide some reasonably good answers (especially as
concerns comparisons in Spain) I would feel terribly uncomfortable
with the outcome since the study would not be deep enough to have the
kind of certainty and breadth that I am comfortable with. Simply
stated, the more samples in space and time the more certainty in the
outcome. To just sample the necropoli in Spain would be to leave out
too much data that could be had by sampling in Gothic necropoli in
Italy and Romania and the Black Sea and between the Oder and Vistula
and Vastergotland and Gotland. Doing the latter could answer many
questions including, just how homogenous the Gothic tribe was at
certain points in time. Even more titillating, it could provide a more
definitive answer as concerns the area and population from which the
formative Gothic tribe acquired its earliest adherents.

Cheers,
F.E.J.D.

> If you don't mind, I'll pass your comments to the Basque genealogy
groups where many people will be interested in learning more about the
topic.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM