[gothic-l] Re: Cagots

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jun 7 12:49:31 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Denis Glenard" <denisglenard at y...>
wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Interesting reading, from which I take this excerpt, (itself being
copied from an original french document as I understand):

> "In seventeen hundred and eighteen, there was a famous cause tried
at Biarritz relating to Cagot rights and privileges. There was a
wealthy miller, Etienne Arnauld by name, of the race of Gotz,
Quagotz, Bisigotz, Astragotz, or Gahetz, as his people are described
in the legal document"

> I find it very strange and interesting that in 1718 they were
called Bisigotz / Astragotz (knowing that the letter V/W does not
exist in Basque), when in French we have Wisigoths and Ostrogoths, in
Spanish Visigodos and Ostrogodos... did they know anything more about
them in the 18th century that has been lost now?

Hi Denis,

I was puzzled by this as well. I cannot believe that names like
Visigoths and Ostrogoths were still in common use in Biaritz in the
early 18th century. One explanation might be a learned
reconstruction. German writers in past spoke about Heruls, Vandals
and other occupying parts of East Germany who in reality had
disappeared centuries earlier.

> It's also quite interesting to read their physical description by
spanish writer Pío Baroja in 1918:

> "cara ancha y juanetuda, esqueleto fuerte, pómulos salientes,
distancia bicigomática fuerte, grandes ojos azules o verdes claros,
algo oblicuos. Cráneo branquicefálo, tez blanca, pálida y pelo
castaño o rubio; no se parece en nada al vasco clásico. Es un tipo
centro-europeo o del norte. Hay viejos de Bozate que parecen retratos
de Durero, de aire germánico. También hay otros de cara más alargada
y morena que recuerdan al gitano"

> Which in english is (my quick translation, not intended to be 100%
academical) :

> "(they have) a wide cheeky face , strong skeleton, bulging
cheekbones, high bizygomatic distance, large blue or light green
eyes, slightly slanted. Brachycephalic cranium, white skin, pale,
blond or light brown hair; they do not look like typical basques at
all. They are of central or northern european type. There are old men
in Bozate who look like Dürer portraits, with a germanic look. There
are also others with a longer, more brown face who remind of the
gypsies."

> Basically, if nobody knows for sure, we can discuss this "ad
nauseam" without ever getting any smarter.

In the article that I provided, some early examinatin seem to suggest
that they basically looked no different from anybody else (appart
from their ears?), which makes it even more incomprehensible how they
could have been so suppressed.

> I like Fernando's approach: if scientific proof through genetic
studies can prove or disprove the Gothic theory, something will be
lost on the legend side, but at least knowledge will prevail.

The major problem with that is that there is no Gothic gene. Names
like Goths, Visigoths etc. were ethnic-political terms not
biologicial/genetic terms. Hence, somebody could likely become a
Visigoths through acculturation and assimilation and infact, the
evidence suggests that ever since their frist appearance as refugees
on Roman territory this was an important process by which their ranks
swelled. In Visigothic Spain, we even hear of Thuringians, and
Warnians from middle Germany, one of whome even became governor of
Galicia.

The region where the later Tervingi/Vesi formed in the 3rd century
was populated previously by various peoples like the Carpi for
example, who were last mentioned in about 238AD together with Goths,
but than disappear from history. Did they become physically extinct,
or did they join the Goths? Istvan Bona has in his book on the East
Germanic Gepids included a studys on skeletal characteristics and
distinguished an Elbe Germanic group (Langobards) and an East
Germanic (Gepids/Goths) group. The former were found to be of the so
called Reihengraeber-typus, i.e. tall bodies, elongated skulls, while
those skeletons found in an East Germanic context were shorter,
stockier and with round skulls.  I cannot say how accurate or valid
those studies were, but it highlights the danger of applying our
image of Germanic physical characteristics as yard-stick in
scientific studies.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM