[gothic-l] Re: Cagots (how pure were the Goths?)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 7 13:23:47 UTC 2004

Dirk is definitely right on this point.
Let's not forget that Bishop Wulfila himself, despite his pure Gothic
name, was in fact not at all a Goth by his origin. Both his parents
were Greeks from Capadocia (Asia Minor), who were taken prisoners by
a former Gothic raid in that region. But Wulfila was born in "Gothia"
(i.e., Dacia) and has been risen as a Goth. And I'm sure that this is
not a singular case; probably many of the Goths (both Ostro and Visi)
were in fact such acculturated/assimilated ones already before moving
on Roman territory . And afterwards this process continued, of course.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> The major problem with that is that there is no Gothic gene. Names
> like Goths, Visigoths etc. were ethnic-political terms not
> biologicial/genetic terms. Hence, somebody could likely become a
> Visigoths through acculturation and assimilation and infact, the
> evidence suggests that ever since their frist appearance as
refugees
> on Roman territory this was an important process by which their
ranks
> swelled. In Visigothic Spain, we even hear of Thuringians, and
> Warnians from middle Germany, one of whome even became governor of
> Galicia.
>
> The region where the later Tervingi/Vesi formed in the 3rd century
> was populated previously by various peoples like the Carpi for
> example, who were last mentioned in about 238AD together with
Goths,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM