[gothic-l] Re: Cagots (how pure were the Goths?)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 7 15:00:18 UTC 2004

Hi, F.E.J.D.

Jordanes said nothing about the ethnic origin of Wulfila (in fact,
all he says is: "There were other Goths also, called the Lesser, a
great people whose priest and primate was Vulfila, who is said to
have taught them to write." Getica LI, Charles C. Mierow's
translation,
http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/Courses/texts/jordgeti.html)
His disciple Auxentius also doesn't mention this subject in his
letter on Wulfila
(http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/texts/auxentius.trans.html).
The fact that both his parents were Cappadocians I know from
secondary sources, like, for instance, the article in the Catholic
Encyclopedia: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15120c.htm).
Other such secondary sources on Wulfila available on-line:
http://faculty.cua.edu/pennington/ChurchHistory220/LectureTwo/Ulfila.h
tm
http://www.earlychurch.org.uk/ulfilas.html
In this last source is stated that the information about the
Cappadocian origin of Wulfila (Ulphilas) comes from Philostorgius
(Hist. Eccl. 2, 5), whose statement is corroborated by other Greek
church historians.

Francisc
--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Fern <visigoth at a...> wrote:
> Dear Francisc,
> Greetings!
> Perhaps you know?
> I have read different accounts about Wulfila the apostle to the
Goths.
> One is that he was ethnically half Gothic and half Cappadocian. [As
> funny as it sounds] , having each, (one) Cappadocian and (one)
Gothic
> parent?. The other account is that both his parents were
Cappadocians.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM