[gothic-l] Re: Gothic identity

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 10 07:01:40 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at n...>
wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
>
> Hi Dirk,
> You wrote:
>
> "The very name of the Goths seemed to have faded into the background
> in the course of the 4th century and the various new tribal groups
in
> that regions preferred names like Vesi, Terwingi, Taifali, Greutungi
> etc."
>

> How comes you know these are NEW tribal groups? The Goths of course
> allways were divided in tribes.

Hi Ingemar,

Of course there is no certainty, but none of these names are attested
prior to the 3rd/4th century thus in this sense they are 'new'
additions to the ethnography when they first appear. In the same
sense the term Franks is usually regardes as new name, although we
cannot be sure if one small subgroups used the name earlier.
However, appart from this I think these names and tribes are indeed
new creations/developments when they first appear, but again there is
no real certainty.

I think that the idea about Tervingi and Greutungi being analogue to
Drevliane and Poliane has something going for it. About the Taifali,
I think that they were indeed an eastern horse nomadic tribe. Taifa
means simply 'tribe' in Bulgarian and I think and the word may be of
turkic or so origin.

Cheers
Dirk

'Tribe' is called kunja or kuni in
> Dacia. There are a lot of people having worked with these names and
> been able to show similarities both in e.g. Balticum and
Scandinavia,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM