[gothic-l] fairhwus & hliftus

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 10 11:29:33 UTC 2004

Hi, Dirk!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> Hi Francisc,
>
> I am interested in the word  "fairhwus" for world. Can you think of
> an equivalent in another Germanic language. All the other words are
> more or less easily recognisable but "fairhwus" is not, at least
not
> for me. Could it be a loanword? Old high German has "mittingart"
for
> world and "aerdha" for lat. terra. Also, "hliftus" for thief does
not
> remind me of a Germanic equivalent.
>
> Otherwise, old high German equivalents to your Gothic examples:
>
> oHG - Gothic
> suno/sune/sun - sunus
> harto/hart - hartus
> hanto/hant - handus
> float - flodus
> anglih - aggwus
> agalizo (?) - aglus
> todh/dodh - dauthus
>
> Cheers
> Dirk

the Gothic word fairhwus "Welt / world, terrestrial domain of life"
(apud Köbler) is considered to be derived from the IE *perqwus "oak"
(cf. Lat. quercus "oak"), the meaning shift being "tree / oak"
> "cosmical tree" (of the Germanic mythology) > "world". Its
equivalents in other Germanic languages denote kinds of trees (for
instance, German Föhre, English fir).
>From the same IE root are derived also: Goth. fairguni "mountain",
the Old Norse deity Fjörgunn and also words in other IE languages
denoting thunder gods (Hittite Perkunas, Sanskrit Parjanas, Slavic
Perun etc.).
OHG mittingart (= ON midgardr) has also its Gothic equivalent:
midjungard.
OHG aerdha (Erde / earth) is in Gothic airtha.

The Gothic word hliftus "thief" has no equivalent (as far as I know)
in other Germanic languages. Together with the verb hlifan "to steal"
it comes from the IE root klep- "to steal", whence also Greek
kleptein "to steal", klepte:s "thief" (> cleptomania!), Lat.
clepere "to steal".
German Dieb / English thief have also a Gothic equivalent: thiubs /
thiufs.

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM