[gothic-l] Re: fairhwus + Greutingi + Gothic loans in Polish

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Thu Jun 10 13:07:30 UTC 2004

Hi all!

And the OE cognate of FAIRHWUS is FEORH 'life'.  Looking up
_fairguni_ just now on Google, I came across this article on the
Gothic contribution to Polish:

www.fh.ug.gda.pl/images/Czarnecki.pdf

In particular I noticed the following comment on a Polish place name
sometimes said to derive from the tribal name recorded in Latin as
GREUTINGI.  Czarnecki says here that the place name is of Slavonic
rather than East Germanic origin - which means it can't be used as
evidence that this tribe was an old grouping going back to Poland.

10.1.1.7. Grudzi¹dz – eine Ortschaft Solch eine Form geht nicht auf
die Bezeichnung eines ostgerm. (got.) Stammes *Ghraudingos (> ostgot.
Grutungi) zurück, sondern, wie die ältere Form Grudzieniec zeigt, ist
sie slawischer Herkunft. Vgl. Kiparsky (1934: 39, 166), Stender-
Petersen (1927: 520)

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hi, Dirk!
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Hi Francisc,
> >
> > I am interested in the word  "fairhwus" for world. Can you think
of
> > an equivalent in another Germanic language. All the other words
are
> > more or less easily recognisable but "fairhwus" is not, at least
> not
> > for me. Could it be a loanword? Old high German has "mittingart"
> for
> > world and "aerdha" for lat. terra. Also, "hliftus" for thief does
> not
> > remind me of a Germanic equivalent.
> >
> > Otherwise, old high German equivalents to your Gothic examples:
> >
> > oHG - Gothic
> > suno/sune/sun - sunus
> > harto/hart - hartus
> > hanto/hant - handus
> > float - flodus
> > anglih - aggwus
> > agalizo (?) - aglus
> > todh/dodh - dauthus
> >
> > Cheers
> > Dirk
>
> the Gothic word fairhwus "Welt / world, terrestrial domain of life"
> (apud Köbler) is considered to be derived from the IE
*perqwus "oak"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM