[gothic-l] Re: Old Prussian

Paul Bardunias Bardunias at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 11 16:20:49 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> I also mentioned Brunja, which seems Germanic as well. If Sarwis is
> originally Germanic, than I would expect it to be Gothic, rather
than
> a later borrowing when Germans arrived in large numbers in the
> region, since the word was not used as far as I know in the middle
> ages. Brunja could be a West Germanic borrowing I suppose, but it
> looks closer to Gothic Brunjo.

This may be a naive question, since I do not know the germanic
languages well, but between the migration of the Goths and the push
eastward of the later Germans there was close contact between the
Slavs of the baltic coast and Scandinavia.  Could the elements you
refer to be from Northern Germanic?

Rugen was a famous stronghold for Slavic pirates who raided
scandinavia.

Paul

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM