[gothic-l] Re: Old Prussian

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Sat Jun 12 18:21:16 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Paul Bardunias" <Bardunias at a...>
wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> >

> > I also mentioned Brunja, which seems Germanic as well. If Sarwis
is
> > originally Germanic, than I would expect it to be Gothic, rather
> than
> > a later borrowing when Germans arrived in large numbers in the
> > region, since the word was not used as far as I know in the
middle
> > ages. Brunja could be a West Germanic borrowing I suppose, but it
> > looks closer to Gothic Brunjo.
> >

> This may be a naive question, since I do not know the germanic
> languages well, but between the migration of the Goths and the push
> eastward of the later Germans there was close contact between the
> Slavs of the baltic coast and Scandinavia.  Could the elements you
> refer to be from Northern Germanic?
>
> Rugen was a famous stronghold for Slavic pirates who raided
> scandinavia.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Seems like a good question to me.  Czarnecki's article considers a
Scandinavian origin most likely for the Polish words: wicia(nasal
mark)dz, witez(accute accent), zwicie(nasal mark)ski - from VIKINGR -
and rejects an earlier theory that they were derived from Gothic.

Since the evidence for a lot of these words is post-medieval, there
is plenty of time even after the arrival of West Gmc tribes for
Scandinavian influence.

In cases of words coming ultimately from Latin, the Gothic of the
Balkans might be a more likely medium for the loan than North
Germanic.  But it's harder to be so specific, I would have thought,
about say words like Lat. VINUM, which must have been common to a lot
of Gmc dialects at an early date.

Czarnecki's CERTAIN (sicher) category he defines as words for which
there are no arguments "against" them being from Gothic, which
doesn't rule out the possibility of other branches of Germanic.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM