[gothic-l] Re: Old Prussian

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Sat Jun 12 19:48:36 UTC 2004

Hi Dirk,

> I also mentioned Brunja, which seems Germanic as well. If Sarwis is
> originally Germanic, than I would expect it to be Gothic, rather
than
> a later borrowing when Germans arrived in large numbers in the
> region, since the word was not used as far as I know in the middle
> ages. Brunja could be a West Germanic borrowing I suppose, but it
> looks closer to Gothic Brunjo.

Yes, no WG gemination (as in OS brunnia).  I wonder if a double
consonant would be preserved in (or leave evidence in) Prussian
though?  Of course if it's only recorded in a list of words using
late medieval / early modern German orthography, that might not be
clear.

Cognates & relatives of Got. SARWA:

OE searo
OHG saro (in Hildebrandslied), gasarawi
MHG geserwe
OIc sörvi 'necklace' (but in poetry: sörva hyrr 'fire of armour' =
sword) - & cf. personal name Sörli

> Some Russian archaeologists have argued that Saxons may have moved
> the Vistula region in the 6th century, because of the occurance of
> certain (supposedly) Saxon urn type. These Saxons are said to be
> responsible for the so called archaeological Olstyn or Mazur-
Germanic
> group. I think this is still speculative, but if correct it could
> explain West Germanic influence.

That's interesting, and would undermine a lot of assumptions!

> I think the Old Prussian word Waldwico, means knight, but also lord
> and landlord. The Wald- is supposed to relate to Gothic waldan (to
> rule).

Do you know if WICO is reckoned to be from Gothic too?

> > Rugis does seem to be a borrowing, one way or the
> > other, but is there any indication for the direction of borrowing?
>

> I think it was borrowed from Germanic (possibly Gothic) to Old
> Prussian. Rye in German is Roggen and the name of the Rugi tribe is
> believed to mean rye-growers.
> Cheers
> Dirk

Llama Nom