[gothic-l] Re: fairhwus + Greutingi + Gothic loans in Polish

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 15 10:58:26 UTC 2004

Hi!

What is more remarkable from my pint of view, in Czarnecki's article,
is the attempt to derive the modern Polish place name Gdansk from
a "weichselgothisch" (Vistula-Gothic)*gudiscandja or *gutiskandja.
This proposed etymology falls under the cathegory of possible
borrowings from Gothic ("mögliche Entlehnungsfälle"), thus more
plausible than Grudziadz < *Ghraudingos.
This would be thus an attempt to locate the
(legendary?) "Gothiscandza" of Jordanes that, according to his Getica
(IV, 25), must have been somewhere on the southern shore of the
Baltic Sea, where also the modern city of Gdansk is located.

Generally speaking about Czarnecki's article, excepting the place
names, all the other Gothic (or, more generally, Germanic) loanwords
in Polish are found also in other Slavic languages, being in fact
borrowings from Gothic or some other old Germanic dialect into Common
Slavic. Very interesting the attempt to identify three layers of
Gothic loanwords into Polish (in fact, Slavic):
1. Early Gothic ("frühgotische") or Vistula-Gothic
("weichselgotische"), approx. AD 0-200
2. Proper Gothic ("eigentliche gotische") or Steppe Gothic
("steppengotische"), approx. AD 200-400
3. Late Gothic ("spätgotische") or Balkan-Gothic ("balkangotische"),
aprrox. AD 400-600.
I don't understand why just the "Steppe Gothic" (spoken by the Goths
in the steppes at the Black Sea between approx. 200-400 AD) is
considered to be "Proper Gothic". Probably because of the fact that
in the Balkans the Gothic language begun to be submitted to Romanic
influence. In any case, this "Late Gothic" was spoken not only in the
Balkans (apparently until the 9th or 10th century in some locations),
but for sure also in the Ostrogothic Italy (where the extant copies
of the Codex Argenteus and Skeireins were made and where the deeds of
Arezzo and Naples were issued) and, for some time, also in the
Visigothic Spain (although I don't know of much concrete evidence for
the use of the Gothic language there; but we have evidence for its
use in the Alano-Vandalic North Africa!).

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM