[gothic-l] Re: fairhwus + Greutingi + Gothic loans in Polish

semiconsrback adan-pol at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Jun 16 14:05:23 UTC 2004

Hi francisc,
"Proper gothic" in the sense that it was the gothic spoken at the
time of Wulfila's bible translation, which constitutes the main
corpus of the extant gothic texts. Early gothic should have been
closer to North-germanic, from which it had already started to
differentiate after its speaker's migration from scandinavia and
gotland into the vistula area.

Adan-Pol

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What is more remarkable from my pint of view, in Czarnecki's
article,
> is the attempt to derive the modern Polish place name Gdansk from
> a "weichselgothisch" (Vistula-Gothic)*gudiscandja or *gutiskandja.
> This proposed etymology falls under the cathegory of possible
> borrowings from Gothic ("mögliche Entlehnungsfälle"), thus
more
> plausible than Grudziadz < *Ghraudingos.
> This would be thus an attempt to locate the
> (legendary?) "Gothiscandza" of Jordanes that, according to his
Getica
> (IV, 25), must have been somewhere on the southern shore of the
> Baltic Sea, where also the modern city of Gdansk is located.
>
> Generally speaking about Czarnecki's article, excepting the place
> names, all the other Gothic (or, more generally, Germanic)
loanwords
> in Polish are found also in other Slavic languages, being in fact
> borrowings from Gothic or some other old Germanic dialect into
Common
> Slavic. Very interesting the attempt to identify three layers of
> Gothic loanwords into Polish (in fact, Slavic):
> 1. Early Gothic ("frühgotische") or Vistula-Gothic
> ("weichselgotische"), approx. AD 0-200
> 2. Proper Gothic ("eigentliche gotische") or Steppe Gothic
> ("steppengotische"), approx. AD 200-400
> 3. Late Gothic ("spätgotische") or Balkan-Gothic
("balkangotische"),
> aprrox. AD 400-600.
> I don't understand why just the "Steppe Gothic" (spoken by the
Goths
> in the steppes at the Black Sea between approx. 200-400 AD) is
> considered to be "Proper Gothic". Probably because of the fact
that
> in the Balkans the Gothic language begun to be submitted to
Romanic

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM