[gothic-l] Gothic 'jah'

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jun 21 13:06:42 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I was wondering about the Gothic word 'jah' for 'and'. In most
Germanic languages this seems to be based on a different word. I.e.
German: und/auch, English: and, Swedish: och/samt, Danish: og, Dutch
en,  etc. The only Germanic dialect were I encountered a similar word
is a  Ostfalian sub-dialect of Lower Saxon which uses a word sounding
like 'jach' for 'and'. I always assumed that this was a contraction
of 'ja auch', but perhaps this originates from the same common
Germanic word as the Gothic 'jah'?

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM