[gothic-l] Re: Gothic 'jah'

Sigi Vandewinkel sigivandewinkel at YAHOO.CO.UK
Mon Jun 21 13:57:07 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I don't know about the gothic "jah" (perhaps related to Latin "ac"?
I'm guessing on this one), but at least in West Germanic languages,
the words for "and" share a common source:

English: and (OE: and)
German: und (ohg: unta/unti)
Dutch: en (Mediaeval form end(e))
Old Saxon: endi

My etymological dictionary tells me these words are related to
Sanskrit átha ("thereafter, thereupon") and Avestian "ada" ("also")

Today's Scandinavian languages also share a common word
(Swedish "och", Danish "og", Norwegian "og", Icelandic "og"). I think
these words are related to German "auch", Dutch "ook"
(meaning "also", cfr. Chaucerian "eek"), but again this is nothing
more than a guess.

Tata,

Sigi Vandewinkel

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM