[gothic-l] Re: Gothic 'jah' & 'auk'

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 22 09:19:39 UTC 2004

Dear Sigi,

Swedish "och", Danish "og", Norwegian "og", Icelandic "og" are
related to German "auch", Dutch "ook", but also to Gothic "auk"
= "furthermore, moreover, besides, for, but, also, since" (which
reflects the original form also for the other Germanic languages).
The Common Germanic *auk is related to the Gothic verb aukan "become
greater, increase", from an Indo-European base "*aweg-, *wo:g-, *aug-
, *ug-,".

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Sigi Vandewinkel"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM