[gothic-l] Re: Gothic 'jah' & 'auk'

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Jun 25 16:31:30 UTC 2004

Hailai allai,

There is also an Old High German JOH "and".  And according to one
interpretation, the word is found in a Scandinavian runic
inscription, on the Skodborg bracteate:

auja Alawin auja Alawin auja Alawin JA Alawid
"good fortune / a blessing, Alawin x3, and Alawid"

Regarding Gothic JAH, Koebler suggests it is a combination of JA + -
UH, the latter being an enclitic particle attached to the end of a
word to mean "and", like Lat. -que, with which I think it is cognate:
GAGGITH QITHIDUH "go and tell".  He attributes this etymology to
Lehmann.

The Gothic AUK seems to be less general in use than OE eac, etc.  In
Gothic, the word translates Greek GAR, usually = "for" in the King
James Bible, and like the Greek word it comes second in the sentance,
after some initial word.  Occasional variations in word order at this
level suggest that this is not simply a slavish imitation of Greek
style though, but actual Gothic syntax - that's my opinion.  If
anyone here is familiar with Greek, by the way, I would be interested
to hear their thoughts on the use of GAR, and possible English
equivalents.  In the Bible, where translated by AUK (sometimes other
Gothic words are used instead), it seems to imply causation usually,
but in a very unemphatic way: "for, because, 'coz, coz you see..."
Gothic AUK, I think, only means "also" in a sentance-connective sort
of way: "and what's more, because besides, and here's another
thing/reason I've got to tell you".

I don't think AUK ever introduces a reason preceding a consequence,
only a reason after the consequence has already been mentioned.  It
might signal an afterthought, or an explanation not demanded by the
syntax of the preceding clause.  I can't think of anywhere it
means "but".

A.  Because B.

(As opposed to:
Since A, then B
Since A, how come B
Because A, so B
etc.)

As Francisc says, AUK has many cognates among the other Germanic
languages.  The West Germanic equivalents tend to mean "also", while
in Norse it early became a simple conjunction, taking over from *and-
, as well as having the more emphatic use "also".

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Dear Sigi,
>
> Swedish "och", Danish "og", Norwegian "og", Icelandic "og" are
> related to German "auch", Dutch "ook", but also to Gothic "auk"
> = "furthermore, moreover, besides, for, but, also, since" (which
> reflects the original form also for the other Germanic languages).
> The Common Germanic *auk is related to the Gothic verb
aukan "become
> greater, increase", from an Indo-European base "*aweg-, *wo:g-,
*aug-
> , *ug-,".
>
> Francisc
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Sigi Vandewinkel"
> <sigivandewinkel at y...> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I don't know about the gothic "jah" (perhaps related to
Latin "ac"?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM