[gothic-l] Re: Gothic 'jah' & 'auk'

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Jun 25 16:47:25 UTC 2004

Ah, sorry about the repetition here - I wrote this before reading
those other replies...  Interesting to see that this distinctive
feature of Gothic is not so unique after all.  I didn't know till now
about the Saxon/Low German cognates.  I wonder if Finnish JA "and"
was taken from Germanic at some point - or is this pure coincidence?

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:
> Hailai allai,
>
> There is also an Old High German JOH "and".  And according to one
> interpretation, the word is found in a Scandinavian runic
> inscription, on the Skodborg bracteate:
>
> auja Alawin auja Alawin auja Alawin JA Alawid
> "good fortune / a blessing, Alawin x3, and Alawid"
>
> Regarding Gothic JAH, Koebler suggests it is a combination of JA + -
> UH, the latter being an enclitic particle attached to the end of a
> word to mean "and", like Lat. -que, with which I think it is
cognate:
> GAGGITH QITHIDUH "go and tell".  He attributes this etymology to
> Lehmann.
>
> The Gothic AUK seems to be less general in use than OE eac, etc.
In
> Gothic, the word translates Greek GAR, usually = "for" in the King
> James Bible, and like the Greek word it comes second in the
sentance,
> after some initial word.  Occasional variations in word order at
this
> level suggest that this is not simply a slavish imitation of Greek
> style though, but actual Gothic syntax - that's my opinion.  If
> anyone here is familiar with Greek, by the way, I would be
interested
> to hear their thoughts on the use of GAR, and possible English
> equivalents.  In the Bible, where translated by AUK (sometimes
other
> Gothic words are used instead), it seems to imply causation
usually,
> but in a very unemphatic way: "for, because, 'coz, coz you see..."
> Gothic AUK, I think, only means "also" in a sentance-connective
sort
> of way: "and what's more, because besides, and here's another
> thing/reason I've got to tell you".
>
> I don't think AUK ever introduces a reason preceding a consequence,
> only a reason after the consequence has already been mentioned.  It
> might signal an afterthought, or an explanation not demanded by the
> syntax of the preceding clause.  I can't think of anywhere it
> means "but".
>
> A.  Because B.
>
> (As opposed to:
> Since A, then B
> Since A, how come B
> Because A, so B
> etc.)
>
> As Francisc says, AUK has many cognates among the other Germanic
> languages.  The West Germanic equivalents tend to mean "also",
while
> in Norse it early became a simple conjunction, taking over from
*and-
> , as well as having the more emphatic use "also".
>
> Llama Nom
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
<fericzobor at y...>
> wrote:
> > Dear Sigi,
> >
> > Swedish "och", Danish "og", Norwegian "og", Icelandic "og" are
> > related to German "auch", Dutch "ook", but also to Gothic "auk"
> > = "furthermore, moreover, besides, for, but, also, since" (which
> > reflects the original form also for the other Germanic
languages).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM