[gothic-l] Re: Gothic in Balkan

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 23 10:14:54 UTC 2004

Hi, Dirk,

I quoted the information about Gothic speakers from an old book of
mine ("Introduction to the Comparative Grammar of the Germanic
Languages", University of Bucharest, 1971) where no further
indication (regarding which work of W. Strabo) is given. According to
the same book, "In central Europe Gothic may have lingered somewhat
longer in view of the Salzburg manuscript (10th century)... Possibly
the information there given was derived from southern Hungary or
Transylvania where remains of the Gepidae were to be found shortly
before the Magyars [Hungarians] settled in these regions (AD 889)."
Thus it seems that we have here two distinct situations of survival
of Gothic until the 9th/10th century in Central&Eastern Europe:
1. Gepids in Pannonia and/or Transylvania;
2. Gothi Minores (Lesser Goths) in Moesia.
And, of course, we have the survival of Gothic in Crimea (not very
far from the Lesser Goths) until the 18th century.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
<fericzobor at y...>
> wrote:
> > Hi, Dirk,
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > > what is the evidence for Gothic being spoken in some parts of
the
> > > Balkans int he 9th and 10th century? The records of the
Bavarian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM