[gothic-l] Re: Salzburg Annales / Codex Albiensis

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 24 09:25:43 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, swrus at o... wrote:
> Hello,
>
> f> Now, you were refering to the Codex Albiensis or Alcuin Codex,
which
> f> provided us with Gothic numerals and alphabets as well as old
high
> f> German phonetic remarks about the pronunciation of Gothic.
>
> Where could I find a facsimile copy of the Acluin Codex? Maybe
someone
> happens to have it and could send it to me, or refer me to some
> on-line source where I could download it? We have been looking for
it
> everywhere here in Russia for a year now, but unfortunately no
library
> in my country seems to have a facsimile copy of the manuscript. I
have
> already tried to post a query here, but got no response.
>
> Any assistance would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Yours,
>
> Yevgeni Chukharev

Hi Yevgeni,

I don't have a fascimile copy of this Alcuin codex, but the passage
that I posted earlier was from the website of the Germanistic
department of the University of Kiel. I suppose if you contact
somebody there they would be able to help you with your request.

I was wondering, why would somebody in Bavaria in around 800AD bother
to record phoenetical notes for the pronounciation of Gothic? Where
they in contact with Gothic speakers further down the Danube? Or had
the Gothic mission, which seems to have resulted in some Gothic words
in Bavarian, had an impact that lasted to the 9th century? The Gothic
bible (Codex Argenteus) was possibly already in Germany by that time,
but the author of the Alcuin Codex was apparently interested in the
pronouciation of Gothic, which I think can only mean that Gothic was
spoken in some form or another. Any thoughts?

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM