[gothic-l] Re: Salzburg Annales / Codex Albiensis

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 24 11:03:45 UTC 2004

Hi Yevgeni,

I think you can buy a facsimile of the Salzburg Alcuin Codex at this
website:

http://www.adeva.com/englisch/buchseite_e.asp?id=1261

Cheers
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, swrus at o... wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > f> Now, you were refering to the Codex Albiensis or Alcuin Codex,
> which
> > f> provided us with Gothic numerals and alphabets as well as old
> high
> > f> German phonetic remarks about the pronunciation of Gothic.
> >
> > Where could I find a facsimile copy of the Acluin Codex? Maybe
> someone
> > happens to have it and could send it to me, or refer me to some
> > on-line source where I could download it? We have been looking
for
> it
> > everywhere here in Russia for a year now, but unfortunately no
> library
> > in my country seems to have a facsimile copy of the manuscript. I
> have
> > already tried to post a query here, but got no response.
> >
> > Any assistance would be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Yours,
> >
> > Yevgeni Chukharev
>

> Hi Yevgeni,
>
> I don't have a fascimile copy of this Alcuin codex, but the passage
> that I posted earlier was from the website of the Germanistic
> department of the University of Kiel. I suppose if you contact
> somebody there they would be able to help you with your request.
>
> I was wondering, why would somebody in Bavaria in around 800AD
bother
> to record phoenetical notes for the pronounciation of Gothic? Where
> they in contact with Gothic speakers further down the Danube? Or
had
> the Gothic mission, which seems to have resulted in some Gothic
words
> in Bavarian, had an impact that lasted to the 9th century? The
Gothic

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM