[gothic-l] Re: Salzburg Annales / Codex Albiensis

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 24 11:13:22 UTC 2004

Hi, Dirk,

thank you very much for your message.
Yesterday, after you asked me about that "Salzburg manuscript", I
realised that I don't know much about it, and I begun to look on the
web. I also found that site indicated by you. Other information I
found in Köbler's Introduction (Vorwort) to his Gotisches Wörterbuch,
(http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
erterbuch/VorwortGotisch.pdf) where at page 43 we can read: "Die
sogenannte Salzburg-Wiener Alkuinhandschrift des 9. oder 10.
Jahrhunderts (Wien, Österreichische Nationalbibliothek Cod. Salzburg.
795) enthält auf Blatt 20a ein altenglisches Runenalphabet, dem die
ersten 16 Buchstaben eines gotischen Alphabetes zur Seite geschrieben
sind und auf Blatt 20b zwei gotische Alphabete mit dem Namen der
Buchstaben. Danach kommen einige gotische Wortgruppen aus Stellen des
Lukasevangeliums (jedoch nicht nach dem Text des Codex Argenteus) in
gotischer Schrift und teilweise verhochdeutscht in lateinischer
Umschrift. Es folgen einige phonetische Bemerkungen mit Zitaten vor
allem aus Genesis 5, einige gotische Zahlen aus Genesis 5 mit
Umschrift in römischen Ziffern sowie sehr verderbt die gotischen
Buchstabennamen, unter denen römische Ziffern stehen (Druck:
Streitberg, Gotische Bibel, 5. A. 1965, 475ff.,
http://germa.germsem.uni-kiel.de/gotisch/vindobonensis.html)."
In English (my translation):
"The so-called Salzburg-Vienna Alcuin-manuscript of the 9th or 10th
century (Vienna, Austrian National Library Cod. Salzburg. 795)
contains on leaf 20a an Old English runic alphabet, beside which the
first 16 letters of a Gothic alphabet are written, and on leaf 20b
two Gothic alphabets with the names of the letters. After that come
some Gothic word groups from places of the Luke Gospel (however not
after the text of the Codex Argenteus) in Gothic script and
partially "high-germanized" [= translated in High German?] in Latin
transcription. Then follow some phonetic remarks with quotations
preponderently from Genesis 5, some Gothic numbers from Genesis 5
with transcription in Roman numbers and, very corrupted, the Gothic
letter names, below them being Roman numbers (print: Gotische Bibel,
5. A. 1965, 475ff., http://germa.germsem.uni-
kiel.de/gotisch/vindobonensis.html)."
The webside indicated there is the same as that indicated by you and
found yesterday by me – it contains only a phragment of that
manuscript. Like Yevgeni, I would also like to see a (facsimile) copy
of the whole manuscript, but I wasn't able to find such thing on the
web.
The corrupted Gothic letter names from that manuscript can be found
in other sources regarding runic or Gothic script (e.g.,
http://uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357/Keyboards/Gothic.html); these
are:
Aza, Bercna, Geuua, Daaz, Eyz, Quertra, Ezck (or Ezec), Haal, Thyth,
Icz (or Iiz), Chozma, Laaz, Manna, Noicz, Gaar, Uraz, Pertra, Reda,
Sugil, Tyz, Uuinne, Fe, Enguz, Uuaer, Utal.
These letter names are quite similar to the Norse and Anglo-Saxon
rune names (see, for instance:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm
http://uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357/Keyboards/Runic.html
http://www.arild-hauge.com/efuthark.htm)
That's why I understood that the "Salzburg manuscript" refers to
Gothic runes and therefore to pagan Gothic speakers. In fact, the
names of the runes were transferred to the letters of Wulfila's
alphabet, and the information for the "Salzburg manuscript" comes
obviously from christian Gothic speakers (Gepids or what they might
be).

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM