[gothic-l] Re: Salzburg Annales / Codex Albiensis

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 24 13:16:03 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hi, Dirk,
>
> it's possible that the phonetical records might refer to those who,
> according to W. Strabo, still used Gothic in some churches on the
> lower Danube in the 9th century.
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

that is possible. The  Codex is the work of Alcuin, who was working
at the palatial school in Aachen for Karl the Great and the work was
combined into the Codex by his pupil the Salzburg bishop Arn. Alcuin
must have been very interested in alphabets, since he created the
Carolingian minuscle. Also, I think it is likely that the Gothic
Codex Argenteus was in Aachen when Alcuin was there. Being an Anglo-
Saxon himself, Alcuin will have been familiar with Anlgo-Saxon runes.
I think the fragments could be seen in this context. However, the
fact that Alcuin recorded exerpts of the Evangelium which differed
from the Codex Argenteus suggests that he may (also) have had access
to other sources, while his recording of Gothic phoenetics might
suggest that he was in contact with Gothic speakers, who may well
have come from the lower Danube as you suggested.

Cheers
Dirk

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > I was wondering, why would somebody in Bavaria in around 800AD
> bother
> > to record phoenetical notes for the pronounciation of Gothic?
Where

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM