[gothic-l] háils

Manie Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Wed Jun 30 18:38:54 UTC 2004

Hails!

My name is Manie Lombard. I'm 41, married, have two children and live in Viena, Austria. I'm generally interested in languages. The reason why I joined this group is, because I've got some questions.

Are the gothic names of the week days known, and if yes, what are they called? Are the names of the months known, besides "Naubaimbair" in your "Kalender.int.txt"?

In gothic, you have two "i"s.
In J. Wright’s grammar it says: „The Gothic character ï was used at the begining of a word and medially after a vowel not belonging to the same syllable“ Now I find in the Gothic “Hail Mary”:

Fagino Maria,
anstai audahafta,
frauja miþ þus;
þiuþido þu ïn qinom,
þiuþido akran
qeiþaus þeinis, Iesus.

Is the “I” of Iesus intentionally an I without two dots? And if so, why?

Regards

Manie

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM