[gothic-l] Re: Scandinavian Inscriptions North Germanic

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Mar 5 16:19:08 UTC 2004

> > The name _Merila_ appears among the Gothic signatures in the
> Naples deed (6th century).
>
> Sure, but it doesn't occur in the inscription. I could be mistaken,
> but it seems that this thread is all about transfering Scandinavian
> runic inscription to far-off peoples and realms. One fellow cited
> claims they are in a Semitic tongue, another Gothic. Evidently, not
> everyone has an easy time reading Early Scandinavian/North
Germanic.

> Regards,
> Konrad

I've just come across this, in the "Gothic Names" appendix to
Koebler's Gotisches Woerterbuch:

Merila, got., PN (551): Vw.: s. mereis; Q.: UrkN (551); B.: Merila
UrkN 3,1 UrkN; ?
hierher auch M(e)r(i)la (= Merila), Fibel von Etelhem (5. Jh.)
(ostgerm.), Krause,
Runeninschriften 40 Nr. 14; Son.: s. a. Mirica, Lehmann M52

So that connection has been made before.  But you're right, this
still doesn't really explain why the inscription has been regarded as
East Gmc.

Also in Koebler's "Gothic Names" appendix (refs. to
Krause, 'Runeninschriften') -

Andag - Schnalle, Vimose
Krause 60,24
c. 200

Awings - Scheidenbeschlag, Vimose
Krause 59,23
c. 400

The buckle I already mentioned.

>>Vimose. Looijenga 5.10 is a bronze buckle which reads: AADAGASU
LAASAUWIJA. Krause's interpretation does seem to be in terms of
Gothic: _A(nsu) a(n)dag a(n)sula a(n)sau wija_, "Ase! Den Andag weihe
ich, der kleine Ase, dem Asen (Wodan)", that is, "God! I, Ansula,
consecrate Andag to the god."<<

If Krause's reading is right, the dative -AU and the first person
singular verb ending -A are (I assume) the distinguishing features.
But Looijenga and others have interpreted this inscription quite
differently, in ways that don't suggest Gothic at all.  So I think it
stays on the 'extremely tenuous' pile for now.

But what about AWINGS?  If people consider a final -S evidence of
East Gmc, this would have as much right to inclusion as GAOIS on the
Moos spear head.  But again, I wonder if it could be a Norse
genitive - or even just a varient spelling of z/R?  But would I be
right in thinking that when an inscription consists of a single name
it is usually in the nominative?

But how certain is AWINGS?  The Kiel Runenprojekt ascribes this
interpretation to Krause and also Antonsen, but I haven't seen the
inscription, so I don't know how clear it is.

Meanwhile...

Looijenga (Chap. 5, Nr. 16) and Moltke (pps. 97-98) both mention the
Nøvling silver rosette fibula, which has the preterite: talgidai.
(Not considered correct in anything.)  Moltke sees this as a spelling
mistake caused by illiteracy!  Looijenga suggests two possibilities:
1) it is due to the falling together of ai & e in Norse; 2) it reads
_talgida i_ carved in'.  No reference here to East Gmc, even though
the form _talgida_ is called East Grm in the entry for Udby
(Looijenga 5,17).

Unstressed vowels in a little-attested language hundreds of years ago
are never going to be great evidence for anything...  And even if
runic spelling was very consistent, there still wouldn't have to be
many anomalies to completely throw modern researchers.  In these
cases, as you've said, a default assumption of Norse seems best.

Another thing to bear in mind - in considering if an object is of
distant origin - would be the type of object.  Ordinary, everyday
items might be less likely to be imports from exotic locations!
(Looijenga makes this point in relation to the Letcani spindle whorl,
whose humble function and Romanian provenance add to the case for it
being Gothic.)  Unless they were small personal possessions of
sentimental value that came with a person.

Llama Nom

Koebler, G, 'Gotisches Wörterbuch', 2. Auflage 1989
http://www.koeblergerhard.de
Looijenga, T, 'Runes around the North Sea and on the Continent AD 150-
700, Texts & Contexts,' Doctoral Dissertation, Groningen 1997
Moltke, E, 'Runerne i Danmark og deres oprindelse', Forum, Copenhagen
1976, p. 94