[gothic-l] Re: Scandinavian Inscriptions North Germanic

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Thu Mar 4 12:38:13 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "akoddsson" <konrad_oddsson at y...>
wrote:

> This is, simply put, a far-out reading ;)
>
> > Moltke:

> This is logical, intelligible and clear.
>
> > The name _Merila_ appears among the Gothic signatures in the
> Naples deed (6th century).
>
> Sure, but it doesn't occur in the inscription. I could be mistaken,
> but it seems that this thread is all about transfering Scandinavian
> runic inscription to far-off peoples and realms. One fellow cited
> claims they are in a Semitic tongue, another Gothic. Evidently, not
> everyone has an easy time reading Early Scandinavian/North
Germanic.
> Here is a basic rule of thumb to follow: an inscription belongs to
> the area it was found in unless it can be proven that 1)it has been
> moved there from somewhere else or 2)it is in a foreign language. I
> have translated this language back and forth into more modern
nordic
> idioms thousands of times. I am hardly convinced that it is foreign
> and I get suspicious when people claim that an object was moved
just
> to explain something they don't understand.
>
> An apple seldom falls far from the tree.
>
> Regards,
> Konrad

Absolutely!  I'm just quoting the examples that have been suggested
by scholars - however far-fetched, to see if there is in fact some
reasoning behind them that I might have overlooked.  Or in the case
of "Merila", playing Devil's Advocate, and guessing what that reason
might be, however tenuous.  I fully anticipate this list of "possible
East Germanic inscriptons in Scandinavia" to be wittled down -
perhaps to zero!

I guess Koebler's list was similarly intended, erring on the generous
side, just in case - a lexicographical instinct?

About Etelhem: Moltke's reading certainly looks more familiar, which
does make it easier to believe.  My only reservation is that so many
runic inscriptions need 'editing' to make them 'right', that (by
another rule of thumb) I'm always wary of taking familiarity for
logic.  That said, "ek erilaz" is probably best (even though strictly
speaking it "doesn't appear in the inscription" either).

On apples and trees: Let's not forget though that this was The Age of
Migrations.  Peter Heather in "The Goths" mentions finds in Denmark
of distinctive Chernjakhov-culture items, suggesting trade links with
the Black Sea area.  Looijenga in "Runes Around the North Sea..."
mentions this too, including a rather intriguing reference to
a "crystal bullet with a Gnostic inscription in Greek" (I'm
paraphrasing here from memory, and possibly garbling!).  This was
clearly an era when many apples did sometimes fall far.

That said, the vast majority of runic finds are centered on
Scandinavia, so as far as runes go, the influence might be expected
to go more the other way.  What do you make of the other items on the
list?  The Moos spear head, etc.  The final -s doesn't look Norse,
unless it's a genitive - but the other spear-heads I've read about
are all interpreted as names in the nominative.

Llama Nom

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM