[gothic-l] Re: Scandinavian Inscriptions North Germanic

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 3 05:35:11 UTC 2004

> > >Etelhem, Sweden (fibula), MKMRLAWRT?

This is, simply put, a far-out reading ;)

> Moltke:
>

> > >EK ER(I)LA(Z) W(O)RTA

This is logical, intelligible and clear.

> The name _Merila_ appears among the Gothic signatures in the
Naples deed (6th century).

Sure, but it doesn't occur in the inscription. I could be mistaken,
but it seems that this thread is all about transfering Scandinavian
runic inscription to far-off peoples and realms. One fellow cited
claims they are in a Semitic tongue, another Gothic. Evidently, not
everyone has an easy time reading Early Scandinavian/North Germanic.
Here is a basic rule of thumb to follow: an inscription belongs to
the area it was found in unless it can be proven that 1)it has been
moved there from somewhere else or 2)it is in a foreign language. I
have translated this language back and forth into more modern nordic
idioms thousands of times. I am hardly convinced that it is foreign
and I get suspicious when people claim that an object was moved just
to explain something they don't understand.

An apple seldom falls far from the tree.

Regards,
Konrad