[gothic-l] Re: Another new member / "hails!" as exclamation

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Wed Mar 17 16:07:34 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> The normal
> > greeting was hails (as in: hails thiudan Iudaie "hail, king of
the
> > Jews").
>

> Hi Llama Nom,
>
> I was wondering about this word 'Hails'; was that really a common
> greeting formular amongst Goths? and if so where is that attested.
If
> it really occurs only in acclamations like 'hails thiudan Iudaie',
> would be rather sceptical about this. Hence, in modern German this
> would also be 'Heil, dir Koenig der Juden....', without Heil beeing
> greeting at all in normal usage.
>
> Cheers
> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

How common?  Well, the short answer is: I don't know!  But there is
the Latin epigram 'De conviviis barbaris', a snide comment on Gothic,
or perhaps Vandal, feasting:

Inter eils Goticum scapiamatziadrincan
 non audet quisquam dignos educere versus.

"Between the Gothic 'eils, scapiamatziadrincan'
no-one dares utter worthy verses"

(I hope I've got that right).  From this we can assume that hails
(eils) was a current expression in Gothic, in some sense, and not
just an artifact of Wulfila's translation.  Okay, in this context it
might be a toast rather than  a greeting, and it's hard to know how
formal it would have sounded, but my guess at the moment is that it
could have encompassed all of these functions.  Compare: Old Norse
heill!, and Old English hal wes thu!, wesath hale!, etc., which are
cognate with Gothic hails, and - as far as I'm aware - could serve
both as acclamation and greeting.  Do you know if heil was ever
a "normal greeting" in earlier stages of the German language?  (Not
counting the politically motivated revival in Nazi times, of
course).  Presumably the present-day formal & archaic-sounding usage
of German "heil", or English "hail", preserves an exclamation that
was once more common, and perhaps therefore applicable to a wider
range of registers.

 OE also has "ic grete the", literally "I greet you", so maybe Goths
said *"golja thuk" as well.  Not attested though.

so goleins meinai handau Pawlaus, þatei ist bandwo ana allaim
aipistaulem meinaim; swa melja "The salutation of Paul with mine own
hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write."

jah meina...
Llama Nom