[gothic-l] Re: Another new member / "hails!" as exclamation

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Thu Mar 18 12:46:51 UTC 2004

Hi,

Another clue might be the verb goljan, "to greet".  When Christ is
hailed as king of the Jews, this is what the people are said to do
when they say "hails".  Elsewhere, goljan is used in the epistles
several times when Paul asks the reader to greet someone on his
behalf, so it would seem (in the language of the Bible, at least)
that goljan was appropriate both to the meanings of "greet"
and "formally hail/acclaim".  It translates Greek ASPAZESTHAI and
CHAIREIN - "bid welcome/farewell, salute, hail, etc.", which
corresponds to Latin (the Vulgate?) avere & salutare.  The Goth. noun
goleins = Gk. ASPAZMOS "greeting, embrace" = Latin salutatio.

Lat. ave and Gk. CHAIRE, the imperatives were used as
greetings/salutations/well-wishings.

If goljan applied to both contexts, maybe hails did too.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just a completion, not a clarification:
> The word is attested also in Crimean Gothic, in Busbecq's list:
iel -
> vita sive sanitas (life or health), ieltsch - vivus sive sanus
(alive
> or healthy), and also the expression iel vburt - sit sanum (be
> healthy) - which looks like a greeting (or toast).
>
> Francisc
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > > The normal
> > the
> > >

> > > Hi Llama Nom,
> > >
> > > I was wondering about this word 'Hails'; was that really a
common
> > > greeting formular amongst Goths? and if so where is that
> attested.
> > If
> > > it really occurs only in acclamations like 'hails thiudan
> Iudaie',
> > > would be rather sceptical about this. Hence, in modern German
> this
> > > would also be 'Heil, dir Koenig der Juden....', without Heil
> beeing
> > > greeting at all in normal usage.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Dirk
> >

> > Hi Dirk,
> >
> > How common?  Well, the short answer is: I don't know!  But there
is
> > the Latin epigram 'De conviviis barbaris', a snide comment on
> Gothic,
> > or perhaps Vandal, feasting:
> >
> > Inter eils Goticum scapiamatziadrincan
> >  non audet quisquam dignos educere versus.
> >
> > "Between the Gothic 'eils, scapiamatziadrincan'
> > no-one dares utter worthy verses"
> >
> > (I hope I've got that right).  From this we can assume that hails
> > (eils) was a current expression in Gothic, in some sense, and not
> > just an artifact of Wulfila's translation.  Okay, in this context
> it
> > might be a toast rather than  a greeting, and it's hard to know
how
> > formal it would have sounded, but my guess at the moment is that
it
> > could have encompassed all of these functions.  Compare: Old
Norse
> > heill!, and Old English hal wes thu!, wesath hale!, etc., which
are
> > cognate with Gothic hails, and - as far as I'm aware - could
serve
> > both as acclamation and greeting.  Do you know if heil was ever
> > a "normal greeting" in earlier stages of the German language?
(Not

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM