[gothic-l] Re: Gothic genealogy

jean-louis blackburn seyanehe at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 16 15:28:47 UTC 2004

Not to sound too presumptuous, but wouldn't we
expect Justinian to have slaughtered the Gothic
royal family to the last remnant?
J-L

--- gerald baker <glbaker50613 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I once knew a Mari Andersson, a Sioux City
> native now
> living in California, who said she found out in
> Sweden
> that she was a descendant of the Ostrogothic
> king
> Theodoric, also known as "Dietrich von Bern." I
> expressed skepticism in a letter, and she never
> replied to it.
>
> Dietrich, whose "Bern" was really Verona,
> defeated
> Odoacer at the "Ravensburg," (Ravenna), and
> became
> King of Italy. I have no idea of whether or not
> either
> of them, or Alaric, had any descendants.
>
> Gerald Baker
> Cedar Falls, Iowa
>
> --- Søren_Larsen <sohela at mail.dk> wrote:
> > faltin2001 wrote:
> > > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Le
> Bateman"
> > branchs of my family,
> > > especially
> Roman
> > Emperors. Were these
> Where
> > can I locate
> > > information on
> > >

> > > Hi Le,
> > >
> > > you should be very sceptical about these
> > (internet) geneologies
> > > linking families to Roman emperors and all
> sorts
> > of real (and
> > > invented) kings. The decendence of most, if
> not
> > all Roman Emperors is
> > > largely unknown and no present day family
> can
> > seriously be linked to
> > > any of them. The same is even more correct
> for
> > Odoacer and Alaric.
> > >

> > Although I totally agree with the gist of
> your
> > message I am
> > really curious to know how it "is even more
> true for
> > Odoacer
> > and Alaric"?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Soren Larsen

> Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for
> faster
> http://search.yahoo.com
>

> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To
> unsubscribe, send a blank email to
> <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> Yahoo! Groups Links

=====
"Open your mouth for the speechless.And for the cause of all those appointed to die.Open your mouth and judge righteously.And plead the cause of the poor and needy."Proverbs 31: 8-9