[gothic-l] Re: Bastarnae

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Mar 30 08:46:00 UTC 2004

I cross-post this from the Germanic-L

Ever since the Poienesti-Lukashevka culture (situated at the lower
Danube and the Black Sea coast, East Carpathian mountains and the
Dnestr river) was discovered it had been linked with the Bastarnae.
Today this link is widely accepted. A recent article on the Poienesti-
Lukashevka culture (P-L) in the RGA reiterated the point. The P-L
culture started in the 2-1st centuries BC. Because of its
relationship to north-central Europe it can be synchronised with the
period Hachmann's younger pre-Roman iron age.

The RGA article mentions the possibility of an authochton
development, which was originally favoured by some Rumanian and
Soviet archaeologists, but states that this is conclusively disproven
today. Instead the culture is the result of migrations from northern
Europe. The RGA article than discusses a whole range of artefacts and
concludes that the centre of origin was the Jastorf area (p 235 in
the P volume), especially the area between Elbe and Oder, but groups
from the Danish isles might also have been included. The RGA article
states that there is agreement today that the socalled Gubener Gruppe
in the Lower Lausitz (Germany south-east of Berlin) was the key
contributer to the P-L culture. Overall, the article states, this was
not a one-time migration but a slow shift of people and cultural
characteristics from the Lower-Elbe to Oder region towards the Black
Sea. The artefacts show that the main line of communication ran along
Oder/Warthe - Vistula - Bug - Dniestr. The process also involved East
Germanic elements. The first layer of P-L artefacts and grave
assemblages is very uniform which leads to believe that the
migrations took place at roughly the same period.

To return to the question of identification of the P-L culture with
the Bastarnae, the RGA article states that attempts, mainly by R.
Vulpe to see the Bastarnae in the Pommersche Culture have failed.
Instead, the P-L culture was described by Wenskus as evidence for the
first south east expansion of Elbe-Suevic groups, which likely
included the Bastarnae and Skirians. The RGA article stresses again
the close correspondence between the historical sources (Strabon VII,
 3, 13; Ptolemy (III, 5,7) which place the Bastarnae or their sub-
tribes like Atmonen, Sidonen, Peukiner, in the relevant areas. Greek
sources mention the Bastarnae as newcomers and there Germanic
ethnicity was stressed by Strabon.

Cheers,

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs at c...> wrote:
> Hi Tore,
>
> I saw the article and arguments on the GMC list, and I don't buy
it.
> Although I suppose the argument could be made that the
Mediterranean
> scripts (Latin, Greek, asf.) were derived from the Semitic
> Phoenicians, and if the GMC runes were derived from the N. Italic,
or
> for that matter, Greek, then by proxy.........  I'm still looking
NNW

http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/utdragfornvnnen_/runessemicorig/defaul