[gothic-l] Re: Gothic equivalent for English 'must': another view of SKULD

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri May 21 14:48:56 UTC 2004

And just when I thought I understood this, here is an alternate view
on SKULD.  In this article, SKULD, in the phrase _skuldu ist_, is
characterised as belonging to a class of "predicate nouns with modal
meaning" - "Indo-European Syntactic Rules & Gothic Morphology", by
Vyacheslav V Ivanov, p. 11).

http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/pies/pdfs/IESV/1/VVI_Gothic_syntax.pdf

I'm not sure how you'd distinguish between a neuter noun and a neuter
adjective used in this way.  Wright saw it as an adjective.  Koebler
has the adjective SKULDS, but lists instances under the headword of
the verb SKULAN, of which SKULDS is the past participle.  Though he
does have a noun *skuld, it is treated as strictly hypothetical.

Either way, an interesting article on Gothic & IE syntax.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:

> Hailai sijuth!
>
> And another alternative: nauths ist, literally "there is a need",
> works the same way as: thaurfts ist (with thaurfts here being the
> noun).  With each, the thing needed is genitive.  As a verb,
thaurban
> = "need", while skulan = "must, shall", with implications of
> obligation, but also used to make a compound future tense, where
the
> simple present might not be specific enough.  Hey is everyone else
> doing what I'm doing and typing some Gothic phrase into Google to
> bypass the "Wulfila Project down for repairs" screen?
>
> Skuld- (apart from being the past tense of skulan) is used in two
> ways, with different meanings: 1) as an adjective, agreeing with
the
> nominative subject, and 2) impersonally as a neuter adjective +dat.
>
> "PASSIVE" skulds ist +inf. "one must be"
> "ACTIVE" skuld ist (+dat.) +inf. "one must" or "one is allowed to"
or
> more literally "it is permissible [for one] to"
> ni skuld ist (+dat.) +inf. "it is not permissible [for one] to"
>
> "Passive" and "active" might be slightly confusing labels, in the
> context, but the examples should make it clear.  For the former,
see
> L 9,44 skulds ist...atgiban "MUST BE handed over"; and for the
latter
> Mk 10,2 skuldu sijai mann qen afsatjan? "is a man ALLOWED TO
divorce
> his wife?" and 1Cor 6,15 skuld auk ist thata riurjo gahamon
> unriurein "for that which is perishable MUST clothe itself with the
> imperishable".
>
> (This works even in 2 Cor 5,10, if you remember that
ataugjan 'show'

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM