[gothic-l] Re: du usfilhan ana gastim

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Nov 1 08:34:06 UTC 2004

Hi Lucia,

Interesting.  Have you read this article or do you know what
Durante's opinion was about the phrase?  E.g. whether DU USFILHAN is
passive, and whether ANA refers to the field or to GASTIM?

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Lucia Sinisi" <luciasinisi at y...>
wrote:

> there is an article dedicated to the construction of this phrase
by E. Durante, unfortunately in italian:
> E. Durante, "'Du usfilhan ana gastim'. La funzione di 'ana' e il
costrutto 'du' con l'infinito in gotico, Biblioteca di Ricerche
Linguistiche e Filologiche, Roma: Il Calamo, 1974, 40 pp.

> Lucia S.

Wulfila one person??

>   About the Gothic phrase
>
>       du usfilhan ana gastim
>
>   which translates the Greek
>
>       eis taphén tois xenois:
>
>   How is the Gothic to be construed? The Greek seems to be "into
(i.e. for the
>   purpose of) burial for strangers", though my Greek is too ropy
for me to
>   pronounce confidently on this. The Revised Standard Version of
Matthew has "to bury
>   strangers in". To make the Gothic match the Greek, the
infinitive could be

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM