[gothic-l] Re: word question

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Nov 11 09:51:11 UTC 2004

Hi Dirk,

I don't know.  I only have more questions!  Like: was the Latin
inscription made at the same time as the Gothic one, by the same
person, or later?  There used to be a picture of it somewhere, maybe
at the University of Kiel Gotisch-Projekte site (Skeireins Projekt +
Gotica minora), but the links don't seem to be working these days:

http://www.germsem.uni-kiel.de/forschung/forschung.htm

Which is a shame.  Does anyone know what became of them?  Has anyone
got a copy of the Brunshausen page?  There is an artcle:

Düwel, Klaus. "Gotisches in Brunshausen?" In Wentilseo: I Germani
sulle sponde del Mare Nostrum: Atti del Convegno Internazionale di
Studi Padova, 13–15 ottobre 1999, ed. Alessandro Zironi, 119–48.
Studi e testi di linguistica e filologia germanica 6. Padova:
Unipress, 2001. [132–44: Stone fragment from Brunshausen with roman
inscription containing a word that has been interpreted as RUNICA.]

But I haven't seen it.

The other evidence for awareness of the Gothic alphabet at this time
is the Codex Segonensis (=Codex Parisina) -- also discussed at that
now mysteriously missing University of Kiel site -- a Carolingian
manuscript listing the Latin and Gothic equivalents of several
biblical names (in some cases showing slight differences from the
texts that survive of the Gothic bible), and a selection of
individual letters with their Latin equivalents, suggesting perhaps
that whoever made the original list had access not just to Gothic
manuscripts, but to people who knew how to pronounce them -- unless
these are just guesses made by comparison of the biblical names, and
the Latin & Greek scripts.

Do you know anything about a decree to destroy Gothic manuscripts in
Spain some time in the early 11th century?  I just have a vague
memory of reading something like that ages ago, but I haven't been
able to find a reference.

I think someone once suggested that the preservation of legends
connected with Dietrich (of Bern) in Germany was due to migrants
escaping the downfall of Ostrogothic Italy, but who knows.

Finally (and this is much earlier, further south, and not for sure
Gothic!), there is an Alemannic silver disc brooch from Bülach,
Switzerland (3rd-6th century) with the runes: frifridil du aftmu,
which is usually interpreted in terms of Alemannic, but as Looijenga
admits "instead of du one would have expected a spelling þu in the
6th c."  On the other hand, reading it as Gothic: Frifridil du aftum
[in] "lover to the last" presents no d/þ problem, and has the
advantage of actually meaning something.  Of course, it could just
as easily be Burgundian, or some other East Germanic dialect.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM