[gothic-l] Re: du usfilhan ana gastim

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Nov 11 11:47:37 UTC 2004

Hi Lucia,

No problem!  That's very helpful.  This is different from Gerry's
idea that ANA is adverbial.  I wonder...  Does Durante have any
parallels for this use of ANA?  Does Durante express any opinion as
to any possible extra meaning of ANA here?  e.g. "for [the use of]
strangers"? "[to be performed] by strangers"? etc.  Or is the
argument that ANA has no function other than to indicate that the
high priests are not the ones doing the burying.

1Tim 4,3: gatharban mate, thanzei guth gaskop du andniman "to
abstain from foods which God made to be received".

du andniman = eis metalhmyin (lit. "for receiving")

Seems like a good comparison.  As in Mt 27,7, Gothic translates a
Greek noun with du + infinitive verb.

But this construction can also translate a Greek passive, e.g. L
3,12 qemun motarjos du daupjan "tax-collectors came to be baptised"
(baptisqhnai).

So DU USFILHAN looks like it could theoretically be active or
passive.  To be on the safe side we could always say "for burials".
To sum up the possibilities:

1) "for burials on, by foreigners", cf. Mt 6,1 (Gerry)
2) "for burials among the foreign comminity", cf. Calendar: ana
Gutthiudai
3) "for burials, ??? foreigners" (Durante)

That's my guess, number 2.  Mt. 6,1 just has: du atsaihvan im "to be
seen by them" with no preposition.  Elsewhere agency is normally
expressed by FRAM, occasionally THAIRH.  I don't know anywhere where
agency is expressed by ANA.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Lucia Sinisi" <luciasinisi at y...>
wrote:

> Hi, Llama!
> Sorry for my late reply!
> Durante considers DU USFILHAN as active and ANA refers to GASTIM,
with a prepositional funtion. According to him Wulfila doesn't use
the accusative, which is the normal case for the verb usfilhan,
because it would imply that the action is directly done by the
sacerdos. He also compares Mt. 27,7 with T 4,3, which shows  a
similar construction.

> Lucia

USFILHAN is

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM