[gothic-l] Re: word question

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Nov 11 15:34:23 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at o...> wrote:

> > destroyed by the Franks in around 534. Curiously, one branch of
> the
> > Saxon Billung dynasty, called the Thuringian Billungs, were also
> > called the Amalungs or Amalings in the 8th century, and the PN
> > Amalung remained a lead-name in this family right into the 11th
> > century. Given the evidence of more than one high level marriage
>

> I recently noticed that the dynastic names Skilfinga & Skjöldungar,
> normally applied to the Swedish and Danish rulers respectively, are
> both also applied to the rulers of Vörs in Norway in "Hversu Noregr
> byggðist".  I'm not sure if that connection is made anywhere else
> though.  And it was fashionable in recent centuries for patriotic
> Scots to refer to the dialect of northeastern Scotland as "Doric"!
> So famous names have a habit of being appropriated.  Well, come to
> think of it, the whole point of monarchy is borrowed glory...  But
> as you say it's also quite possible there were blood ties between
> the Ostrogoths and Saxons, and maybe others.

Hi Llama Nom,

We know for certain that there were blood ties between Ostrogoths and
Thuringians. Whether this Amaling dynasty in Thuringia just borrowed
a prestigious name or whether they really had a relationship with the
Amals is impossible to assertain today. In general, you are of course
right, all the various royal geneologies show that lineage was
important and the creators of these geneologies had little scruples
when it came to historical truth.

Interestingly, one Alamannic duke claimed preeminence among other
Alamannic dukes because he was supposedly a decendent of the
Burgundian kings. His claim cannot be verified, but his seemingly
East Germanic name Eudila lends some weight to it.

Cheers
Dirk

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM