[gothic-l] Re: word question

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Nov 11 12:04:37 UTC 2004

> destroyed by the Franks in around 534. Curiously, one branch of
the
> Saxon Billung dynasty, called the Thuringian Billungs, were also
> called the Amalungs or Amalings in the 8th century, and the PN
> Amalung remained a lead-name in this family right into the 11th
> century. Given the evidence of more than one high level marriage

I recently noticed that the dynastic names Skilfinga & Skjöldungar,
normally applied to the Swedish and Danish rulers respectively, are
both also applied to the rulers of Vörs in Norway in "Hversu Noregr
byggðist".  I'm not sure if that connection is made anywhere else
though.  And it was fashionable in recent centuries for patriotic
Scots to refer to the dialect of northeastern Scotland as "Doric"!
So famous names have a habit of being appropriated.  Well, come to
think of it, the whole point of monarchy is borrowed glory...  But
as you say it's also quite possible there were blood ties between
the Ostrogoths and Saxons, and maybe others.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM