[gothic-l] A Million Questions: 6. (Syntax)

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Thu Oct 7 15:25:33 UTC 2004

there are lessons through any german links in internet and there is wulfilas bible translation.so laisareins sind batizei.the lessons are better.

Tom De Herdt <tom.deherdt at skynet.be> wrote:
> 6. Does anyone know of any online resources for Gothic syntax?
> Shame that section of Streitberg's Elementarbuch is off limits for
> copyright reasons.

Actually, I'm not quite sure about those copyright reasons. I deliberately
left out the section because I didn't want to take any risks. On the other
hand, Hugo Stopp's 1981 "Nachdruck" (ISBN 3-533-02984-0) is nothing more
than a facsimile reprint of a chapter taken from the 1920 edition, with a
typewritten introduction and index. Since the 1920 edition is in the public
domain (Streitberg died in 1925), why would it be illegal to post another
facsimile edition on the Internet? The 1981 reprint mentions "Alle Rechte
vorbehalten [...] Photomechanische Wiedergabe nur mit ausdrücklicher
Genehmigung durch den Verlag", in other words a fairly standard copyright
warning. However, I suppose that -- legally speaking -- the copyright notice
specifically relates to the 1981 reprint (and Stopp's additions), not to my
copy of Streitberg's 1920 edition.

Does anyone happen to have a clear view on the intricacies of copyright and
public domain? I'd really like to post the missing section to the website,
since it is the only extensive overview of Gothic syntax (and quite a good
one too); if I were certain about the copyright status, I would start
scanning right away.

Tom [http://www.wulfila.be]

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM