[gothic-l] A Million Questions: 6. (Syntax)

Tore Gannholm tore at GANNHOLM.ORG
Thu Oct 7 23:31:26 UTC 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 3:58 PM, Tom De Herdt wrote:

> > 6. Does anyone know of any online resources for Gothic syntax?
>  > Shame that section of Streitberg's Elementarbuch is off limits for
>  > copyright reasons.
>
>  Actually, I'm not quite sure about those copyright reasons. I
> deliberately
>  left out the section because I didn't want to take any risks. On the
> other
>  hand, Hugo Stopp's 1981 "Nachdruck" (ISBN 3-533-02984-0) is nothing
> more
>  than a facsimile reprint of a chapter taken from the 1920 edition,
> with a
>  typewritten introduction and index. Since the 1920 edition is in the
> public
>  domain (Streitberg died in 1925), why would it be illegal to post
> another
>  facsimile edition on the Internet? The 1981 reprint mentions "Alle
> Rechte
>  vorbehalten [...] Photomechanische Wiedergabe nur mit ausdrücklicher
>  Genehmigung durch den Verlag", in other words a fairly standard
> copyright
>  warning. However, I suppose that -- legally speaking -- the copyright
> notice
>  specifically relates to the 1981 reprint (and Stopp's additions), not
> to my
>  copy of Streitberg's 1920 edition.
>
>  Does anyone happen to have a clear view on the intricacies of
> copyright and
>  public domain? I'd really like to post the missing section to the
> website,
>  since it is the only extensive overview of Gothic syntax (and quite a
> good
>  one too); if I were certain about the copyright status, I would start
>  scanning right away.
>
>  Tom [http://www.wulfila.be]

If you copy it is only the author that can claim compensation. If you
don't use the text for commercial purposes you have no profit.
Compensation is normally calculated on % of income.

Normally if the author if alive he or she is very please that somebody
notices his or her work. I haven't come across anybody who objects to
me using their work in my research library. On the contrary they are
normally flattered.

Tore

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM