[gothic-l] Re: A Million Questions: 6. (Syntax)

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Oct 8 07:56:38 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at g...> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2004, at 2:34 AM, Troels Brandt wrote:
>

> >  --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at g...> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > If you copy it is only the author that can claim compensation.
> >
> >  The author may have transferred his rights to a publisher.
> >
> >  > If you
> >  > don't use the text for commercial purposes you have no profit.
> >  > Compensation is normally calculated on % of income.
> >
> >  This is not a matter of your profit, but the loss of the owner
of the
> >  rights.
> >

> If it is not a matter of profit I can't see why the author
published at
> all.  If it is not supposed to be available for research why
publish??
> WHY NOT KEEP THE PUBLICATION IN THE DRAWER. What else does the
rights
> mean than profit?

Hi Tore

As I read your argument, you claim that even if you break the law and
publish the text at the internet there is no damage and therefore no
compensation to pay by you to the owner of the copyrights (Author or
publisher of the book). My argument is according to common principles
of law in case of violation and damages, that even if you do not make
any profit your argument is irrelevant as your compensation to the
owner shall cover his loss caused by your violation of his rights.

If your way of copying new books to the internet was correct no one
would print and publish a book. That is the decision an author takes
when he makes a deal with a publisher instead of putting the article
at the internet himself.

There are a lot of problems about how to make this function at the
international internet and in closed environment, but that does not
change the general intentions and principles.

I am sure you can't escape the Swedish laws even as you do not accept
the Swedish take over of Gotland hundreds of years ago - and I am
sure the Swedish and Danish laws are similar.

Troels

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM