[gothic-l] Re: A Million Questions: 6. (Syntax)

Tore Gannholm tore at GANNHOLM.ORG
Fri Oct 8 15:35:35 UTC 2004

>  Hi Tore
>
>  As I read your argument, you claim that even if you break the law and
>  publish the text at the internet there is no damage and therefore no
>  compensation to pay by you to the owner of the copyrights (Author or
>  publisher of the book).

Which law and which damage are you talking about? It is only the author
that can claim damage. If he or she does not want the text available, I
can't use it and have to obey to the authors wishes. In that case the
author has declared that he does not want his or her material to be
available for research. A ban will than be placed on that material.
Still I haven't come across such a person. On the contrary all the
authors writing this type of material we use in this group are more
than pleased that somebody takes interest in their work.

Normally they have to battle to get funds to have their work published
and their work very soon becomes dead meat with nobody reading it.

I have various works in my library where there are only a few copies in
Sweden. One recent book my Public library could find no copy in Sweden
and had to borrow it from a library in Copenhagen.

It would be very irresponsible by me not to copy these works and have
them available for my research.

I have a similar view as  the Internet History Sourcebooks project
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/fairuse.html

>  My argument is according to common principles
>  of law in case of violation and damages, that even if you do not make
>  any profit your argument is irrelevant as your compensation to the
>  owner shall cover his loss caused by your violation of his rights.
>
>  If your way of copying new books to the internet was correct no one
>  would print and publish a book. That is the decision an author takes
>  when he makes a deal with a publisher instead of putting the article
>  at the internet himself.
>
>  There are a lot of problems about how to make this function at the
>  international internet and in closed environment, but that does not
>  change the general intentions and principles.
>
>  I am sure you can't escape the Swedish laws even as you do not accept
>  the Swedish take over of Gotland hundreds of years ago - and I am
>  sure the Swedish and Danish laws are similar.
>
>  Troels

In your opinion, What does the law state?

Tore

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM