[gothic-l] Re: A Million Questions: 6. (Syntax)

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Oct 8 20:39:03 UTC 2004

Hi Tore

In Sweden you have an "Act on Copyright in Literary and Artistic
Works" (Law No. 729, of December 30, 1960, as last amended by Law No.
1274, of December 7, 1995 - I do not know if there are later changes)
which appear very similar in structure to the rules I know. It also
contents rules of transfer of copyright.

In general the length of the copyright is connected to the death of
the author, but the right can belong to someone else in that period -
the one mentioned after the copyright sign in the book. After that it
is public domain, but if it is published again with changes and new
comments etc., this book may have its own copyright, but the old text
remains public domain.

All the works I have used at Fordham have been public domain - as
example all the Nordic works. In some cases they take the chance and
at one of the first pages they ask such copyright owners to protest
immidiately if they feel they are offended. I have noticed that some
works have disappeared and some works are moved to a closed network.
The university does not take the responsibility, but the teatcher
running this project is using the educational purpose of the
institution to defend his position if something goes wrong.

If I should make comments to the rest I should repeat myself.

Troels

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at g...> wrote:

> >  Hi Tore
> >
> >  As I read your argument, you claim that even if you break the
law and
> >  publish the text at the internet there is no damage and
therefore no
> >  compensation to pay by you to the owner of the copyrights
(Author or
> >  publisher of the book).
>
> Which law and which damage are you talking about? It is only the
author
> that can claim damage. If he or she does not want the text
available, I
> can't use it and have to obey to the authors wishes. In that case
the
> author has declared that he does not want his or her material to be
> available for research. A ban will than be placed on that material.
> Still I haven't come across such a person. On the contrary all the
> authors writing this type of material we use in this group are more
> than pleased that somebody takes interest in their work.
>
> Normally they have to battle to get funds to have their work
published
> and their work very soon becomes dead meat with nobody reading it.
>
> I have various works in my library where there are only a few
copies in
> Sweden. One recent book my Public library could find no copy in
Sweden

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM