[gothic-l] Re: A Million Questions: 6. (Syntax): copyright

Tom De Herdt tom.deherdt at SKYNET.BE
Fri Oct 8 13:34:09 UTC 2004

> > If you don't use the text for commercial purposes you have no profit.
> > Compensation is normally calculated on % of income.
> This is not a matter of your profit, but the loss of the owner of the
rights.

Indeed: why would people buy Hugo Stopp's reprint when they can download and
print a PDF document that offers exactly the same? The problem is that both
Streitberg's original edition and the 1981 reprint are published by the same
publisher (Carl Winter), so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they
somehow extended the copyright (or that Streitberg, as Troels suggests, may
have transferred his rights). The only way to be sure is to ask for
permission, I guess.

> Of course the rules have to be followed, but you can publish the full
> text if it is public domain. In the principle you are not allowed to
> publish "mechanical and electronical" copies of a book under
> copyright even if the text itself is public domain, but I do not know
> how this can be controlled as you could just copy the original edition.

Good point. So it would be safe to post a copy of the actual text, e.g. a
TEI edition; that would make it searchable too. It's a lot of work though,
and e-text lacks the verifiability offered by a facsimile reproduction.

Tom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM