[gothic-l] about 'himma daga'.

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 18 12:13:01 UTC 2004

Himma daga, today, is dative. The accusative form does also occure as
hina dag, right? The meaning of this ain't know for me, but i've seen
it. Does the genitive and nominative form excist? Even though it
hasn't been recorded, how would they be? I know the word for day is
dags, and dagis, but how would himma be in the other cases?

I also thought about the relation to other germaic languages.
The german word heute and the anglosaxon héodæg both has the prefix
héo- and hiu- plus the word for day. The swedish word for today
is 'idag', could this probably come from older 'hidager'? (the
suffix -er is nominative).

If this is right, can this prefix be related to the gothic word
himma, and whatever it is in nominative?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM