[gothic-l] Re: about 'himma daga'.

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 18 13:14:01 UTC 2004

Hi, Fredrik

According to Koebler's Woerterbuch
(http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
erterbuch/GOT-H.pdf), the pronominal root is hi- (from IE root ko-,
ke-, kei-, ki-, kijo-, kjo-), the meaning being "this, of here and
now, the present, this here". The attested forms are:
hita (neuter sg., Nom.&Ac.)
hina (masc. sg., Ac.)
himma (masc.& neuter sg., Dat.)
These forms appear in expressions like:
fram himma (nu) = from now on
himma daga = today
und hina daga = unto this day, until today
und hita = until now
The unattested nominative sg. masc. would be *his, and the genitive
sg. probably also *his.
Indeed, it is cognate with OHG hiu- in hiu-tagu "heute (today)", OE
héo- etc.

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM