[gothic-l] Re: Romans 1-3 Reconstruction (*bruk-)

llama_nom 600cell at FSMAIL.NET
Thu Oct 21 10:21:23 UTC 2004

Hails Maththaiu,

The verb kaurjan seems to have three corresponding nouns, kaurei,
kauritha & (un)kaureins.  At least kauritha has the concrete sense
of a burden, and appears in the plural.  Unfortunately there's not
all that much evidence to go on.  Both kaurei & kauritha translate
Gk. baros, but kaurei = Lat. pondus; kauritha = Lat. onus.

>From Koebler:

kaur-ei* 1, got., sw. F. (n): nhd. Schwere, Fuelle, Last; ne. weight
(N.), weightiness,
heaviness, load (N.); ÉG.: gr. baros; ÉE.: lat. pondus; Q.: Bi (340-
380); I.: ? Lbd.
gr. baros; E.: s. kaurus; B.: Akk. Sg. kaurein 2Kr 4,17 B

*kaur-ein-s, got., st. F. (i/Ì): nhd. Schwere, Beschwerlichkeit; ne.
burden (N.);
Vw.: s. un-; E.: s. kaurus
kaur-ith-a* 1, got., st. F. (Ì): nhd. Last, Schwere; ne. weight
(N.), burden (N.);
ÉG.: gr. baros; ÉE.: lat. onus; Q.: Bi (340-380); I.: ? L•s. gr.
baros; E.: s. kaurus;
B.: Akk. Pl. kaurithos Gal 6,2 A B

un-kaur-ein-s* 1, got., st. F. (i/Ì), (Streitberg, Gotisches
Elementarbuch, Krause,
Handbuch des Gotischen 132,3c): nhd. Unbeschwerde,
Unbeschwerlichkeit; ne.
unburdensomeness; ÉG.: gr. abare^s; ÉE.: lat. sine onere (= in
unkaureinom); Q.:
Bi (340-380); E.: s. un-, kaureins; B.: Dat. Pl. unkaureinom 2Kr
11,9 B

NEW COLLEGIATE LATIN & ENGLISH DICTIONARY:
pondus  - weight, mass, burden, etc.
onus - load, burden, freight, cargo, difficulty, trouble, tax
expence, etc.

SOME OTHER MORE OR LESS CONCRETE NOUNS IN -itha & -ei.

afgrunditha - abyss
weitwiditha - testimony
manwitha - readiness, the means to accomplish something
meritha - rumour, report
*baggwitha - dwelling, home (Koebler: "Q.: oberit. baita, lang.
baito, Huette, gasc. baita, bei ")

mundrei - target, goal

So *brukei & *brukitha would both seem quite possible.  But not
necessarily more so than any of the other suggestions.  Free choice,
maybe!  Until we know better...

propitiare: How about something derived from hunls (cf.
unhunslags 'implacable' = Gk. aspondos, Lat. sine pace; hunsla,
na.pl. (lit. sacrifices = Gk. latreia, Lat. obsequium), e.g. hunslam
blotan 'worship with sacrifices'; hunsl gasaljan 'offer a sacrifice
to'; hunsla saljan 'be offering sacrifices to'; or if that's too
concrete, maybe: *hunslagjan 'placate, propitiate'?

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at y...> wrote:

> Hails!
>
> In order to finish up this inquiry and move on, I decided to do
> some research. Comparing the various i/ja adjectives and their
> related nouns, keeping in mind which give rise to w1 verbs and
> which have s(I, IV, V) verbs as their sources, I tried to discover
> patterns that would lead to a conclusive form for our noun of the
> stem "bru'k-". Considered were: hrains, -laugns, -siuns, nems,
> auth(ei)s, -faurs, -mains, sels, skaun(ei)s, skeirs, su'ts. A
> number of abstract weak feminine nouns were found of the -ei
> variety, with meaning formed from the adjective in a way akin to
> the adding of -ness to adjectives in English. Thus hrains "clean",
> hrainei "cleanliness"; analaugns "secret", analaugnei "secrecy".
> This would lead us to posit a noun *bru'kei "usefulness", a word,
> while potentially *useful*, too far off course for our present
> desire. In addition the -eis (mIA) type was found in its usual
> nom. agentis occasion: siuneis "seer", alongside forms
> preferring the weak ending -ja (mN): skeirja, gamainja. This too
> is presently out of our domain; still let us postulate
a "bru'keis" or

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM