[gothic-l] The David Salo Test!!!

llama_nom 600cell at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Oct 29 03:25:48 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at y...> wrote:

> correction made to my own work, after accidentally coming
> across a reference to this or the old testament source in
> Skeireins I (at the beginning!): '".....saei frathjai aiththau
sokjai
> guth. allai uswandidedun, samana unbrukjai waurthun",...'

> I remember David Salo once wrote that a good and perhaps
> sobering exercise would be to translate into Gothic some part of
> the text for which there is already Gothic, and then compare your
> work. Not a bad idea.

Okay then.  Matthew Chapter 27 – first my version (using Köbler's
Greek-English appendix + The Unbound Bible, as recommended), then
the real thing, and finally comments, bragadoccio, excuses, etc.
(PS. It took ages.)

Me:

3 than gasaihvands Iudas, sa lewjands ina, thatei gadomiths
was/warth, idreigonds sik gawandida thans thrins tiguns
silubreinaize skatte thaim auhumistam gudjam jah sinistam,
4 qithands: Frawaurhta galewjands bloth swikn. ith eis qethun: hva
thata uns(is)?  Thu saihvais.
5 jah gawairpands thans silubreinans skattans (thaim silubreinaim
skattam) in alh, usiddja ut jah galeithands ushaihah sik.
6 Ith thai auhumistans gudjans nimandans thans silubreinans skattans
qethun: Ni skuld ist galagjan thata in kaurbanan, unte andawairthi
blothis ist.
7 thanuh runa nimands bauhtedun us im akrs this kasjins du hlaiwa
framathjaim.
8 Duththe haihait akrs jains `Akrs Blothis' und hita.

Wulfila:

3 thanuh gasaihvands Iudas sa galewjands ina thatei du stauai
gatauhans warth, idreigonds gawandida thans thrins tiguns
silubrinaize gudjam jah sinistam
4 qithands: frawaurhta mis galewjands bloth swikn. ith eis qethun:
hva kara unsis? thu witeis.
5 jah atwairpands thaim silubr<ein>am in alh aflaith, jah
galeithands ushaihah sik.
6 ith thai gudjans nimandans thans skattans qethun: ni skuld ist
lagjan thans in kaurbaunan, unte andawairthi blothis ist.
7 garuni than nimandans usbauhtedun us thaim thana akr kasjins, du
usfilhan ana gastim.
8 duththe haitans warth akrs jains akrs blothis und hina dag.

Note: I cheated on andawairthi! (But that's all, honest!)  Did have
it as sweritha, which everywhere else translates timh, but not here
obviously.  I was maybe more literal with gadomiths warth, & thu
saihvis.  Wulfila was more literal with silubreinaize (with no
noun).  I started with _than_ because tote is `when' here in the
GNB, though elsewhere it is also `then'—and I see now that KJB
actually has `then', so I should have known...

I cunningly took runa from Mt. 27,1 CA runa nemun – but forgot that
this verse is also duplicated by C, which has garuni nemun – so I
can live with that.

atwairpan – should have paid more attention to the direction "into
the temple", rather than just "threw down", probably.  I can also
see where I went wrong with my unpassive haihait, and the omission
of the reflexive pronoun with frawaurhta.  Not sure what mistake I
made, if any, with the lack of (or insertion of) ga.  Possibly
arbitrary here?  (sa lewjands ina, appears elsewhere).  Usbauhtedun –
 the prefix for perfectivising reasons?

7 this kasjins -- typical English speaker's mistake, overuse of
Gothic demonstrative.

7 thanuh.  Hmm, maybe too emphatic – or maybe it's arbitrary.  Both
translate de, on occasion.  Here's my fiendish idea for a test: go
through a chapter or two guessing at the Gothic equivalents for all
the oun's and de's!!

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM