[gothic-l] Re: Gothic & Greek B in Slabonic

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Wed Sep 1 06:27:01 UTC 2004

******<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hi Llama nom!

Thank you for an interesting and useful excursus,
but Finnish borrowings from Common Germanic remain
a mystery. It is a pity. All the rest has a little
connection to Gothic.

No one contends against the fact that the Slavs
borrowed the word <korabl'> just because they
had not got practice in seafaring and just from Greek
because the Greeks had it a lot. The point is whether
the loan took place in a written or oral way.
The first one is easily explainable while the second
needs a serious elucidation of early contacts between
the Slavs and Greeks.

I can't say anything about <*oldija> as a ship, but
Old Russian knew the word <lodja> as a big boat
(<ladja> in modern Russian with the same meaning
and an archaic shade, also the chess rook).
As far as I know, this word is assumed to be
original Russian. The modern Russian for a boat is
suffix, and <a> is an ending (N. fem.). However,
the root <lod> is not productive in Russian that
implicitly allows a borrowing to be surmised.

I have no substantial comments on istuba >> izba.
I encountered the opinion deriving <izba> from Germanic
but never heard about any Romance sources. Moreover,
my mind fails to imagine the Romans living in izbas.
The common sense supposes a northern origin of the word.
I seem the general appearance of the word looks as Baltic.

Vladimir