[gothic-l] Re: Vandal (was: Goths of North Africa)

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Fri Sep 10 06:06:16 UTC 2004

*****<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hi Francisc and Llama Nom!

I dare add a couple of small comments-questions that
may appear interesting though not very useful.

1. The diphthong <ai> in modern Lithuanian sounds for my
(i.e. Russian) ear rather closer to /ej/ than to /aj/.
Supposing some common features in East Germanic and Baltic
(or influence of the first upon the latter), might this be
an explanation of the alternating /ails/ and /eils/
in Latin reproductions?

2. In modern Ukrainian the letter <i> (applied only
at the beginning of a word or after a vowel) is pronounced
with a fricative consonant before <i>, something between
/ji/ and /gi/. Of course, the use of the same letter <i>
by both old Gothic and new Ukrainian is a coincidence,
but may be the fact itself of "iotation" of <i> after
an open syllable a reflection of some East Germanic trends?

Vladimir