[gothic-l] Re: Vandal (was: Goths of North Africa)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 10 15:05:47 UTC 2004

Hi, Llama Nom,

In my previous message, the quotation from Reikahardus' message is
that between quotation marks. The considerations regarding phonetic
evolutions are my own speculations...
Regarding the tendency to diphtong assimilation, I had in view not
only the Salzburg manuscript, but also the Crimean Gothic (which
indeed is rendered very corrupted by Busbecq and/or his editors).
It is true that at that time Latin showed the palatalization (or
affrication) of t before j, but I don't see why a Latin author should
apply this also in transcribing non-Latin words.
Regarding FROJA ARMES: you're right, in classical Gothic it's FRAUJA
ARMAIS (not "frauja armeis", as I wrote, since the verb is arman, not
*armjan, as I thought).
In any case, these allegedly Vandalic short sentences are in fact
purely Gothic, thus either they are indeed Gothic (and used as such
by Vandalic priests, in case of FROJA ARMES), or Vandalic was
virtually identical to Gothic (as sugested by classical authors).
Regarding Vandalic words, Koebler, in Appendix 4 to his "Gotisches
Woerterbuch", entitled "Woerter sonstiger ostgermanischer Sprachen"
("Words in other East-Germanic languages")
(http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
erterbuch/Ostgermanisch.pdf)
gives only the following Vandalic words:

Wandalisch
armen, wand., sw. V.: nhd. erbarmen --- sich erbarmen; ne. merciful --
- be merciful
froja, wand., M.: nhd. Herr; ne. lord
gardingus, M., lat.-wand.: nhd. Hofmann; ne. paladin

thus Koebler (or his source) considers that the famous FROJA ARMES is
indeed Vandalic! (in the 11th century, the freshly christianized
Hungarians used as war slogan: "Kyrie eleison!"; if "froja armes" is
Vandalic, than we could also consider that "kyrie eleison" is
Hungarian)

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM